Loading boards on the tuk tuks at dawn and scooting through the paddy fields to glassy tropical breaks. Catching waves in your swimsuit guided by your coaches, relaxing by the emerald green pool under shady palms, and snacking on fresh fruit and samosas. Good times with kindred spirits; reconnecting with your own body and mind through your daily Yoga practice.
Sri Lanka is known for its mellow waves, making it the perfect place for all levels of surfer to progress with their surfing in a tropical paradise. All you need to do is book your spot and a flight & we’ll take care of everything else … island life is calling!
Ahangama, Sri Lanka
27 January – 5 February 2024 (9 nights)
2025 Trips coming soon! – Email to hear about these dates when they launch!
- Progression friendly waves for beginners, improvers and experienced surfers
- Benefit from a 1:3 coaching ratio, with expert Surf Sistas coaches offering personalised guidance and support.
- Video Analysis – Hone your skills in the water and replay them on land in our video analysis sessions, allowing you to visualise, refine and improve your surfing technique for the next session.
- Daily Yoga Sessions complementing your surfing experience with flexibility and mindfulness.
- Immerse yourself in the local culture including indulging in the rich flavors of Sri Lankan cuisine
- Enjoy the breathtaking landscapes, lush greenery and pristine beaches of Ahangama, the perfect backdrop for your surf adventure.
- Forge lasting connections with a new community of like-minded women.
We’ve chosen to retreat to Sri Lanka for its mellow waves, we want you to make real progress with your surfing and we know you can do that here. Our coaches are ready to tailor their coaching to your individual goals, through heaps of water time (noodle arms here we come), video analysis and pool/land theory sessions. If you want to really invest in leveling up your surfing then this is the retreat for you.
Expect to wake up at sunrise and surf a mix of friendly reef set-ups, points and beach breaks. Sri Lanka is known for it’s mellow waves, making it the ideal place for beginners and for improver/intermediates who are keen to start consistently catching green waves. If you have never surfed a reef break before then this is the perfect place to try!
With our 1:3 ratio coaching, video analysis and expert tuition from our female coaches, you’ll get the support and tools you need to really fast track your surfing and have lots of fun doing so!
Our daily Yoga sessions are organised around our surf schedule. We practice asanas to enhance your surfing, improve your balance and flexibility and stretch out tight muscles. The classes will be suitable for all levels so don’t worry if you are new to Yoga.
Mats and props are provided you just need to wear comfortable clothing.
Accommodation & Meals
Your accommodation for 9 nights is a beautiful boutique villa with a pool nestled behind the hustle and bustle of Ahangama, a 5 minute tuk tuk ride from the beach. We have a mixture of solo occupancy and twin rooms available, all en suite. If you are coming solo but would like to pick the shared twin room option, thats great, we will match you with a another solo Sista on the retreat.
Here we are a short ride from Ahangamas hip hang-outs and shops, plus lots of insanely good local eateries, our mouths are watering thinking about the food! We have included breakfasts and some evening meals and lunches at the villa but we have deliberately left opportunities in our itinerary for us all to explore all the best local cafes and restaurants.
We can accommodate different dietary needs just let us know when you book.
Is this retreat for me?
We’ve chosen this spot for its beautiful location and accessible waves. We feel it offers a great progressive experience for all levels of surfers from complete beginners to more experienced surfers and longboarders.
We have a maximum of 8 spaces on the retreat with multiple coaches ensuring that we can tailor our coaching to your needs and progression from beginners through to improvers/intermediates and experienced surfers.
We are always happy to chat through any questions or concerns about choosing the right destination and retreat for you, so do drop us a line if you have any queries
- Anytime airport transfers from Bandaranaike International Airport, Colombo (CMB)
- 9 Nights accommodation in a beautiful boutique villa
- Daily Breakfasts
- Arrival and Departure evening meals
- 4 Villa lunches
- 7 Full days of Surf coaching (twice daily sessions)
- Unlimited free surfs
- Daily Yoga classes
- Surf theory
- Video Analysis
- Evening Trip to Galle
- mid retreat cultural tour
- Photos of you surfing
- Surf Sistas Goody Bag
- Surf Sistas Host on hand to help you make the most of your time in Sri Lanka
- Surfboard Rental
- Massage & spa treatments
- Sri Lankan Cookery class
- Cinnamon Plantation trip
- Whale watching tour
How to Book
Please use the paypal links below to book your 2024 Surf & Yoga island retreat with us in Sri Lanka. You can choose to pay a £500 deposit to reserve your space and the remainder is due by January 1st.
|Shared twin room
|Private Occupancy room
If you have any questions at all please do drop us a line here
Can’t make these dates?
Look out for more overseas trips in 2024/2025 and a full programme of courses, weekends and retreats in Cornwall, UK. We run courses and weekends between April and September in beautiful Cornwall, catering for all abilities. Find out more here
I can no longer attend, what are my options?
We understand that things happen that mean you can no longer join us. You can cancel your holiday at any time provided the cancellation is communicated to us in writing. We will apply cancellation charges up to the maximum shown as follows:
- Cancellations made 49 days or more before the retreat 20% of total cost
- Cancellations made 30-49 days before the retreat 50% of total cost
- Cancellations made 21 – 30 days before the retreat 70% of total cost
- Cancellations made 20 days or fewer before the retreat – 100% of total cost
Please check our full terms and conditions before you book.
What thickness wetsuit do I need to bring?
The water in Spain is warm and the air temperature even warmer! A 3/2mm wetsuit with suit you best (3/2 is the thickness of wetsuit, measured in mm). If you dont have a wetsuit already we’d recommend buying a Yulex one (they’re made from natural rubber) which are durable and more eco friendly. Brands such as Srface, Finisterre and Patagonia offer natural rubber suits.
How ‘good’ do I need to be?
This retreat is for all ability levels so if you are completely new to surfing or not that experienced that is no problem, Sri Lanka is a great place to learn!
Who can attend your retreats?
We welcome all age groups from 18 + on our Surf Sistas retreats so whatever age you are you will fit in just fine! We want to make our retreats and courses as inclusive as possible, if you have any concerns at all please drop us a line
How physically fit do I need to be?
A good level of physical fitness is very beneficial to help you surf. However don’t let your fitness be a barrier to learning to surf or getting back into surfing if its something you loved in previous years. You can take the week at your own pace and there is no better incentive and starting point for boosting your overall fitness level than a surf trip!
We will be doing 2 x 2 hour sessions a day and carrying boards to and from the beach car park, so expect to sleep amazingly well each night!
If you’re new to surfing and would like to try it out before committing to a full retreat away you could try one of our 2 Day Surf and Yoga weekends.
Do you include accommodation?
Yes! Accommodation is included in a beautiful boutique villa with a pool.
Is it ok to come on my own?
Absolutely! What we love about our retreats is the opportunity to bring women together in a shared, empowering and sociable space. You’ll be welcomed into a very supportive and fun environment. In our experience nothing is more bonding than a day enjoying the ocean together!
I don’t feel very confident in the sea, will this be a problem?
We understand the sea can be a daunting place but we don’t want this to put you off. Our Surf Sistas coaches are all qualified Surf Lifesavers and we operate in Sri Lanka with a local guide who has an in depth knowledge of local conditions. You’ll be in safe hands during your time with us. If you are a little nervous, do let us know and we can talk through your concerns and ensure that we are adapting our coaching appropriately.
What should I bring?
- Surfboard + equipment (bag/sock, leash, fins, surf wax) if you dont have one we will provide you with one!
- At least two sets of swimwear – check out our blog post on swimwear for tropical surfing
- A changing robe or beach sarong/towel
- A reusable water bottle
- Clothes: light comfortable clothing, bring modest clothing for visiting temples
- Lightweight Waterproof jacket
- Clothing for yoga and activities
- Sun protection – waterproof sunblock, zinc
- Any personal medication or medical items (we will take a first aid kit + dry bag with us to the beach so you can store it in here)
- A travel adapter for firing up your gadgets